Tuesday, November 27, 2012

SELLING YOUR HOME: There’s No Such Thing As A Bad Real Estate Market For Sellers And Here’s Why

There’s really no such thing as a bad real estate market for sellers; it’s bad marketing with incorrect pricing and terms.
When I first heard that statement, my eyes rolled.

Now, if you’re anything like me, your first reaction is words I can’t write here; but I’ve learned and seen this to be true. Many of us, homeowners and real estate agents like, have been waiting year after year for the market to get better and go back to where it was in the hey day. You know, those days where the house was not a long-term investment anymore but a short-term get rich quick scheme.

We have been pricing and talking in the mindset of loss and giving the home away…Really?
What I have seen and learned is that every time homeowners come to terms with selling in today’s market and then pricing (and marketing) to win for today’s market; THEY DO.
They partner with a real estate agent team that knows 3 things:
  1. How to Market – which is more than just adding it all over the internet and posting a sign for an open house
  2. How to price
  3. How to negotiate the best terms
I have seen this in the homes that have sold at or before the average days on the market and either at their price or above for a regular sale or in short sales that complete.

When I first heard the saying, “there’s really no such thing as a bad real estate market for sellers; it’s bad marketing with incorrect pricing and terms.” I thought, yes, those homeowners are getting their price but it’s not the price they wanted. They wanted the price they were supposed to get a few years ago; but they adjusted and understood today’s realities. Now there is such a thing as the right price and the wrong marketing; I’m not
talking about that here.

I then realized if I did not pause and give this logic a chance to digest, like so many probably won’t, I would also be one of those people who would constantly say I hate the way I look. Why?

Well, see, when I got married I weighed — well, I’m not going to tell you that — but it was much less than what I weigh now. But I lost weight recently and it made me feel good. Initially, though, my mind keep saying I’m still no where near the weight I was when I first got married. I had to slap myself out of that mindset because if I did not, I would not be happy for the weight I have lost and kept off. I would always just compare it to that older, much lower number, and never feel accomplished or satisfied. I would always feel like I still failed.
This is the same thing as housing prices. As a homeowner I would never be satisfied and happy if I quickly sold my home for the highest price I could possibly get today if I always kept comparing that price to the number I know (okay, feel) I should have gotten a few years ago.

Set a winning mindset and realize, there’s really no such thing as a bad real estate market for sellers; it’s bad marketing with incorrect pricing and terms.

No comments: